The Expedited Procedure is a special, ‘fast-track’ procedure that is available by application in SIAC arbitrations. Where a case is conducted under the Expedited Procedure, the final award will be issued within 6 months of the constitution of the Tribunal, unless the Registrar extends the time for making the final award.
General flow of arbitral proceedings
- A Party may file its application for Expedited Procedure where any of the criteria under Rule 5.1 of the SIAC Rules, 2016, is satisfied, in its Notice of Arbitration.
- Alternatively, a separate application for Expedited Procedure may be filed subsequent to filing a Notice of Arbitration.
- Estimated maximum costs of the arbitration under the Expedited Procedure is calculated under the applicable SIAC Schedule of Fees (this is the same as for arbitration proceedings conducted under a standard track).
- The President of the SIAC Court of Arbitration will determine whether the arbitration proceedings will be conducted in accordance with the Expedited Procedure (subject to SIAC's receipt of the requisite deposits).
- A case conducted under the SIAC Expedited Procedure will typically be heard before a sole arbitrator Tribunal, unless the President decides otherwise.
- The final award will be issued within 6 months of the constitution of the Tribunal, unless the Registrar extends the time for making the final award