General flow of arbitral proceedings
I. Commencing an arbitration at SIAC:
- Parties have agreed (pre/post-dispute) to refer a dispute to arbitration to be administered by SIAC and/or arbitration in accordance with the SIAC Rules;
- Filing a Notice of Arbitration; and
- Payment of the requisite non-refundable Case Filing Fee.
II. Commencement of Arbitration:
- Date of commencement;
- Estimated maximum costs of arbitration, and advance on costs;
- Filing of Response to Notice of Arbitration;
- Determination of pre-constitution applications by SIAC, such as:
- Joinder; and
- Expedited Procedure.
I. Sole Arbitrator
- Parties have agreed on nominee for sole arbitrator: Rule 9.3 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
- Parties have not agreed on nominee for sole arbitrator: Rule 10.2 or Rule 12.1 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
- SIAC will proceed to conduct conflicts check with prospective arbitrator in accordance with the applicable SIAC Rules.
- Prospective arbitrator after returning duly signed [Code/Declaration], will be appointed by the President of SIAC Court.
- Parties to be informed of the appointment of sole arbitrator, and thereby, the constitution of the Tribunal.
II. Three-member Tribunal:
Parties have selected respective nominees for co-arbitrator: Rule 9.3 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
A party fails to make nomination of co-arbitrator: Rule 11.1 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
SIAC will proceed to conduct conflicts check with prospective co-arbitrator in accordance with the applicable SIAC Rules.
- Prospective co-arbitrator after returning duly signed [Code/Declaration], will be appointed by the President of SIAC Court.
- Parties to be informed of the appointment of co-arbitrators.
Presiding arbitrator to be nominated and appointed under Rule 9.3, Rule 11.3, or Rule 12.2 of the SIAC Rules, 2016.
I. Conduct of Proceedings:
- Preliminary meeting with the parties under Rule 19.3 of the SIAC Rules, 2016.
II. Applications before Tribunal
- Jurisdiction of the Tribunal under Rule 28 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
- Early Dismissal of Claims and Defences under Rule 29 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
- Interim and emergency interim relief under Rule 30 of the SIAC Rules, 2016;
- Additional Powers of the Tribunal under Rule 27 of the SIAC Rules, 2016.
III. Award / Consent Award
- Close of proceedings; and submission of draft award to the Registrar for scrutiny; consent award in the event of parties’ settlement: Rule 32 of the SIAC Rules, 2016.
- Registrar’s determination on the final costs of the arbitration under Rule 34.7 of the SIAC Rules, 2016.
- Correction, interpretation of awards; additional awards: Rule 33 of the SIAC Rules, 2016.
IV. Certification / Authentication of Awards
Under the Singapore International Arbitration Act 1994 and the Singapore Arbitration Act 2001, the Registrar and Deputy Registrar are persons appointed to authenticate any award or arbitration agreement or to certify copies thereof. Please see SIAC’s “Authentication & Certification Service” for more information on this process.
- SIAC administers a wide range of disputes, including, among others, corporate and commercial, trade and investment, construction/engineering, shipping/maritime, insurance, intellectual property, and banking and finance.
- SIAC has been handling cases with a wide range of quantum in dispute, there is no minimum or maximum amount in dispute for cases to be administered by SIAC.