1 February 2016
SIAC Appoints New Court Member
The Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) is pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Darius Khambata, Senior Counsel, to the SIAC Court of Arbitration with effect from 1 February 2016.
Mr Khambata practises before the Bombay High Court and the Supreme Court of India. He has previously held two distinguished public law offices, as Advocate General for Maharashtra from 2012 to 2014, and before that, as Additional Solicitor General of India for three years.
Mr Khambata has appeared in several important constitutional, corporate and commercial matters and in significant domestic and international commercial arbitrations. He is a specialist in several practice areas, including securities, arbitration, corporate, constitutional, administrative and environmental law. As Law Officer, he argued several cases involving complex constitutional, administrative, criminal, tax and environmental law issues. Mr Khambata was a member of the Law Commission of India’s Committee that recommended substantial amendments to Indian arbitration law.
Mr Khambata commented on his appointment, "I am privileged to have the opportunity to serve on the Court of one of the world's premier arbitral institutions, and look forward to working closely with members of the SIAC Court and SIAC Secretariat to ensure that SIAC remains committed to delivering quality, cost-efficient dispute resolution services to users from diverse backgrounds and cultures."
Mr Gary Born, President of the SIAC Court of Arbitration, welcomed the appointment of Mr Khambata. "We are honoured and delighted to have Mr Khambata, a very well-respected member of the Indian legal community and leading international arbitration practitioner, join us on the SIAC Court. He will complement the impressive breadth and depth of expertise of the current Court members with his unique knowledge and experience, and ensure that SIAC maintains its position as a global arbitral institution handling cases and parties from different legal systems all over the world."
Following this latest appointment, the members of the SIAC Court of Arbitration are:
1. Mr Gary Born – Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP, UK (President)
2. Dr Michael Pryles – Melbourne, Australia (Founder President)
3. Mr Cavinder Bull, SC – Drew & Napier LLC, Singapore (Vice-President)
4. Mr John Savage – King & Spalding LLP, Singapore (Vice-President)
5. Ms Claudia Annacker – Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP, France
6. Mr Lijun Cao – Zhong Lun Law Firm, China
7. Mr Paul Friedland – White & Case LLP, USA
8. Mr Emmanuel Gaillard – Shearman & Sterling LLP, France
9. Dr Bernard Hanotiau – Hanotiau & van den Berg, Belgium
10. Mr Darius Khambata, Senior Counsel – India
11. Mr Toby Landau QC – Essex Court Chambers, UK
12. Dr Eun Young Park – Kim & Chang, Korea
13. Professor Jan Paulsson – Three Crowns LLP, USA
14. Ms Lucy Reed – Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Singapore
15. Mr Harish Salve SA – Blackstone Chambers, India
16. Mr Hiroyuki Tezuka – Nishimura & Asahi, Japan
17. Ms Ariel Ye – King & Wood Mallesons, China
18. Mr Alvin Yeo, SC – WongPartnership LLP, Singapore
For more information please contact:
Singapore International Arbitration Centre
T: +65 6221 8833