SIAC’S NEW GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE AND REVISED RULES OF ARBITRATION
1 April 2013
With effect from 1 April 2013, SIAC is pleased to announce a new governance structure and the publication of a revised edition of the SIAC Rules of Arbitration.
A new Court of Arbitration overseeing the case administration and arbitral appointment functions of SIAC has been created. The corporate and business development functions of the Centre will continue to be overseen by the Board of Directors. Both the new Board and the Court assume office on 1 April 2013.
The new Board is chaired by Mr Lucien Wong, Chairman and Senior Partner of Allen & Gledhill LLP. The Board is made up of prominent lawyers and corporate leaders from China, India, Korea, the UK and Singapore. The Board will be principally concerned with the operation and development of SIAC 's business and its compliance with applicable laws.
The members of the new Board of Directors are:
Mr Lucien Wong (Chairman)
Mr Cavinder Bull SC (Deputy Chairman)
Mr Gautam Banerjee
Mr Nishith Desai
Mr David Liu
Mr Rajiv Luthra
Mr E Y Park
Mr Chelva Rajah SC
Mr John Savage
Mr Giles White
Ms Jeanette Wong
The profiles of the Board members can be accessed here.
The SIAC Court of Arbitration is led by Founder President Dr Michael Pryles. The Court comprises 16 leading arbitration practitioners from around the world, including Bahrain, Belgium, China, France, India, Japan, Singapore, the UK and the USA. The main functions of the Court are: the appointment of arbitrators, the determination of challenges to arbitrators and case administration.
The members of SIAC’s first Court of Arbitration are:
Dr Michael Pryles (Founder President)
Mr Cavinder Bull SC (Vice President)
Mr John Savage (Vice President)
Mr Hiroo Advani
Mr Doak Bishop
Mr Gary Born
Mr Paul Friedland
Mr Emmanuel Gaillard
Mr Bernard Hanotiau
Mr Sungwoo Lim
Mr Julian Lew QC
Mr Jan Paulsson
Mr Harish Salve
Mr Hiroyuki Tezuka
Ms Ariel Ye
Mr Alvin Yeo SC
The profiles of the Court members can be accessed here.
The CEO, Mr Minn Naing Oo, will continue to have the day-to-day responsibility for the conduct of SIAC’s operations. His profile can be accessed here .
The new SIAC 2013 Rules (5th Edition) have been amended to reflect the functions of the Court and its members and represent best practices in arbitration case administration.
Amendments include the following:
- The President of the Court will now perform functions of appointment of arbitrators; determination of applications for the expedited procedure and appointment of Emergency Arbitrators;
- The Court will determine jurisdictional challenges and challenges to arbitrators;
- Amendments to clarify certain rules have been made, such as on commencement of arbitration; extension of time limits under the Rules; challenge to arbitrators; and making of deposits by parties on estimated costs of arbitration;
- The tribunal may now consider issues not specifically raised in the pleadings, in line with recent caselaw;
- The jurisdictional challenge process prior to constitution of the tribunal has been streamlined;
- The tribunal is now empowered to award post-award interest in line with the latest legal developments in Singapore; and
- SIAC is expressly authorized to publish redacted awards.
For the latest SIAC Rules (5th Edition, 1 April 2013) please click here .
Finally, SIAC wishes to express its sincere gratitude to the outgoing Board members, who have been instrumental in the transformation of SIAC during their term of office into a truly world-class arbitration centre. We wish them the very best.
The list of the outgoing Directors is as follows:
Ms Judith Gill QC
Mr Pierre Yves Gunter
Mr David Rivkin
Ms Pallavi Shroff
Mr Guy Spooner
Mr B C Yoon
For more information please contact:
Director – Business Development
Singapore International Arbitration Centre
T: +65 6221 8833